By Min. Thomas J. Allen, Monday Dec, 16 2013
The Ten Commandments are as eternal as God Himself, and can be found in both the Old and New Testaments, which is referenced below. They were spiritually observed by Abraham in the beginning, and also written and given directly by God on two tablets of stone to Moses and the people of Israel at Mount Sinai after He had delivered them from slavery in Egypt. The Commandments were also spoken of by Jesus and his Apostles as a way of life to all Christians in order to Live for our Lord God. God is the source of true freedom, and his laws provide the light that keeps us safe. These laws become written on the hearts of all who accept his Son, Christ Jesus.
And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God...
1. How are the first six days of the week to be occupied?
Exodus 20:9, "Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work"
2. How is the seventh day to be distinguished from the six working days?
Leviticus 23:3, "Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings."
3. Should the Sabbath be strictly observed even under pressure of work?
Exodus 34:21, "Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest."
4. Beside work on the land what other activities are to cease on the Sabbath?
Exodus 16:23, "And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning."
Nehemiah 10:31, "And if the people of the land bring ware or any victuals on the sabbath day to sell, that we would not buy it of them on the sabbath..."
5. On whom is the obligation to observe the Sabbath rest enjoined?
Exodus 20:10, "But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates"
6. When do the Sabbath hours begin and end?
Leviticus 23:32, "...from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath."
7. Where does this division of the days originate?
Genesis 1:5, "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." (See verses 8, 13, 19, 23, 31)
8. In what reverence are the Sabbath hours to be held?
Exodus 20:8, "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy."
Ezekiel 44:24, "...and they shall hallow my sabbaths."
Deuteronomy 5:12, "Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee."
9. How was the Sabbath employed in Israel?
Leviticus 23:3, "...the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation"
10. What example did Jesus set of proper Sabbath observance?
Luke 4:16, "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read."
11. How is the church of the last days exhorted?
Hebrews 10:25, "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."
12. What record is kept in the books of heaven?
Malachi 3:16, "Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name."
13. Beside worship, what other occupations are perfectly proper on the Sabbath day?
Matthew 12:12, "How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days."
14. What typical good works did Jesus do on the Sabbath?
John 9:14, "And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes."
Matthew 12:13, "Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other."
15. In order that the Sabbath may be a day of physical rest and spiritual blessing for all, what preparation is necessary on the previous day?
Exodus 16:5-23, "And it shall come to pass, that on the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in; … To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord."
16. What special name is, therefore, given to the sixth day of the week?
Mark 15:42-43, "And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath, Joseph of Arimathaea … went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus."
Luke 23:54, "And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on."
17. While God indicated specifically how the Sabbath should be kept, for whose benefit was the day intended?
Mark 2:27, "And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath"
18. If we observe it as God intended, what joy shall we find in its sacred hours?
Psalm 118:24, "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."
May God Bless you, your family, and keep you all safe from the coming storm.
You are all in my prayers daily.
Yours In Christ
Min. Thomas J. Allen